Sunday, May 18, 2014

Watercolor for Cardmakers - Faux Hand-Painting

Hi everyone,
I’ve had a wildly busy week, and have only been able to create a few cards for Online Card Class - Watercolor for Cardmakers. So, now that all of my personal obligations are behind me, I’m finally ready to get back to playing! I really enjoyed the class, but found that I had to ‘pitch’ a lot of water color paper after ‘practicing’ the techniques! 


But, all is not lost, because on Day 8 of Class, the ‘Amazing’ Laura Bassen shared a video with us for watercoloring with our stencils. I recently bought the Memory Box ‘Darling Poppies’ die, so I decided to create my own stencil with it for this card!
 



I’m not crazy about the tiny branches on this die, so if I decide to try it again, I will use leaves from another die, or stamp. I used water color pencils and Inktense pencils to color in the flowers and stems, then ran it through my die cut machine with the stitched rectangle die (which also helps to flatten the card, by the way). I made my own banner, added a few gems, popped everything up on a purple card base, and that was it!

This weeks’ theme at Less is More is ‘flower’, so I would like to enter this card in the challenge.

Yesterday, I hosted the Hero Arts Flickr Group Scramble, and challenged everyone to create a 'One Layer Card'. Here are two of the cards I used as samples for the group:
 
 
 
 
 
And, This Card from a previous post. The next Scramble should be sometime during the week of May 26th, and we would love for you to join in the fun!

Well, that’s it for me...I hope everyone is having a relaxing weekend! Thanks so much for stopping by!


Supplies for Congratulations Card:
Stamps: Avery Elle - Sentimental Swirls
Ink: Derwent - Watercolor Pencils, Inktense Pencils; Versafine - Onyx Black
Cardstock: Papertrey Ink - Select White; Bazzill Card Shoppe - Gummy Bear
Dies: Memory Box - Darling Poppies; Lawn Fawn - Stitched Scalloped Borders
Gem: Kaisercraft - White Pearls

21 comments:

Nonni said...

These are all super beautiful!

Rosemary said...

love your take on laura's technique... your card is lovely!! your sample cards for the scramble are fabulous!

Deepti said...

Wow these are awesome!! I love the coloring on the flowers and gorgeous inking on ur last card :)

Betty said...

love your watercolored flowers in the purples -sorry i missed your scramble yesterday

Tracey McNeely said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tracey McNeely said...

Barb, sorry I deleted the last comment my head is foggy from being sick. Let's try again...all your cards are so fantastic! You did awesome with your watercolouring!

Loll said...

Hi Barb. Your watercolored card is beautiful. I haven't tried that technique yet, but look forward to trying it and many others that I haven't gotten to yet. The course was great, with so much packed into each and every day. I'll be busy for a while going through all the videos again.

I ended up throwing a lot of watercolor paper in the garbage as well. Practicing is a good way of putting it. I think it takes a while to get the hang of some of these techniques. I started cutting my watercolor paper into smaller pieces for learning purposes, so didn't end up wasting as much as if I was working on full-sized card fronts each time. It worked for me.

As for your two, one-layer cards ... both are gorgeous. I do struggle with one-layer, but you really have aced it with these lovely creations. Loll xx

Sazzle Dazzle said...

Barb these cards are amazing. Love seeing all the different water colour techniques
Thanks for taking part
Sarah
Less Is More

Les idées de Magouille said...

Fabulous card!

Darnell said...

You are on a Mojoroll, Barb! These are all sensational cards!! I agree about the leaves on the first card and think it's cool that you ran it through the stitched die afterwards! Your watercolored flowers are gorgeous and your two OLCs are perfection!! Have a great week! Hugs, Darnell

Chrissie said...

These are all lovely cards Barb, you have really been inspired by the watercolour class!
Great job!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Cat Craig said...

Barb, your watercolor is lovely. I really liked the stencil idea as well. I am thinking of picking up some less expensive watercolor paper for practice so I don't run through my good stuff with so much practice.

Your scramble was a lot of fun, and I especially adored your big lotus flower stencil card. It is awesome.

Anita in France said...

Oh my, what fabulous cards, Barb ... the colours are so rich and vibrant ... I especially love the aqua one! Anita :)

Sarah G said...

Love the watercolour flowers - so vibrant and such a beautiful CAS card! Your one layer cards for the scramble are fabulous too - love that large lotus flower stencil....it has been in and out of my basket several times :)

Kay Miller said...

Such beautiful cards Barb! The watercolored one with the stencil sounds like a neat technique and it is just lovely! Your two one layer cards are amazing! It's strange, but I really struggle with one layer cards. Can't seem to do it and have it look good! You don't seem to have that problem! So glad you found time to play with your stamps! Have a wonderful week! ((Hugs))

Leslie Hanna said...

Love your homework!

Unknown said...

such beautiful cards!!! love them all! fabulous job on all these techniques!!

ThePurplePlace said...

Wow Wow Wow!! That first "Purple/Plum" card that was inspired by the amazing "Laura" (Love her), is calling my name. I absolutely LOVE it and love the faux stitched look, I must find these dies, as I'm always admiring them and do no own even one set that has that fun look! :) Beautiful work in such a fun class!!

LauraJane:) said...

Oh I always miss those scrabbles! Your stencil flower is VERY well done....(I had Great trouble with this technique in class.) the stitched panel sets it off beautifully.

Anne said...

Barb what a fab collection of creations, all so different and so stylish!
Thank you for your LIM entry
Anne
Less is More Designer

Viv said...

Wow so many beautiful cards, love the watercolouring too :) Viv xx